The Ivory Tower - A Within Temptation Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ivory Tower - A Within Temptation Forum

Welcome, Guest!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesStoreRegisterLog in

The Poetry Thread

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SoulLily
The Heart Of Everything
The Heart Of Everything
SoulLily

Female
Number of posts : 1513
Favorite WT song : The Cross, THOE, A Demon's Fate, ITMOTN
Bless :
The Poetry Thread Left_bar_bleue5 / 2005 / 200The Poetry Thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The Poetry Thread Left_bar_bleue0 / 2000 / 200The Poetry Thread Right_bar_bleue

The Poetry Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Poetry Thread   The Poetry Thread EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 6:30 am

Inspired by the fact that I am currently attempting to cram about 30 pages of poems into my memory for an English exam tomorrow morning.

So, I'm curious: what are some of your favourite poems? Feel free to discuss poets, particularly striking lines, types of verse, etc. as well.

My personal all-time favourite poem is "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", by T.S. Eliot. I first read it about a year ago and have been in love with it ever since, mostly because I identify with the character (I am perhaps the least decisive person I know; it's horrible) but also because of the imagery and the diction Eliot uses. Text is here for anyone interested.

Somewhat in the same vein is James Kavanagh's "I Brood Too Much", but I can't seem to find the text for that online so I shall share it here:

Quote :
I brood too much.
You're right: It never leads anywhere.
Nor will it.
I brood too much:
So many hopes gone awry,
So many reasons to cry,
Too long alone with the sky,
Wondering why,
Wondering why.
I brood too much.
You're right: It never leads anywhere.
Which is something else to brood about.

Much more colloquial than the former, but I still like it quite a lot.

I'm kind of a huge English nerd, guys. Someone tell me I'm not alone here.
Back to top Go down
http://soullily.deviantart.com
Lady Draconian
Converter
Converter
Lady Draconian

Female
Number of posts : 8166
Favorite WT song : Pale, Caged, Lost, Forgiven
Bless :
The Poetry Thread Left_bar_bleue90 / 20090 / 200The Poetry Thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

The Poetry Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Poetry Thread   The Poetry Thread EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 9:18 pm

POETRY<3

My favourite poet has to be William Wordsworth. My favourite poem from him is A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal. It's raw, captivating and sad.
Aside from Wordsworth I love William Blake, Emily Dickinson, Sylvia Plath, Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allan Poe, Lord Tenneyson (mainly his poem The Lady Of Shalott) and a few others.

In poems personally I love to see emotions weaved in. Rhymes help to make the poem flow more, but they don't always convey a proper meaning, so overall my preference would have to be free verse for writing style.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musesofmetal.com
SoulLily
The Heart Of Everything
The Heart Of Everything
SoulLily

Female
Number of posts : 1513
Favorite WT song : The Cross, THOE, A Demon's Fate, ITMOTN
Bless :
The Poetry Thread Left_bar_bleue5 / 2005 / 200The Poetry Thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

The Poetry Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Poetry Thread   The Poetry Thread EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Oscar Wilde! Love I admit I'm not as familiar with his poems as I am with his plays, but I do love his writing. Such wit, and so much truth in his epigrams. Unquestionable genius if you ask me.

I haven't read much of Sylvia Plath, but the bits of her writing I've encountered are all things to which I can relate, so she is on my list. And I rather like Tennyson as well... I find "Break, Break, Break" quite striking.

I'm not sure what structure I like best in poetry... I am fond of free verse and its ability to express just about anything, but I also admire the discipline it takes to write with a consistent meter and rhyme scheme in mind. I'm particularly big on meter because metrical variations can add layers of meaning to lines of verse, which I find really interesting. It's sort of a subtler way of getting to the listener, such that they might not really notice it, but its effect is there regardless, and I find that fascinating. But maybe that's just because my high school English teacher focused a lot on sound devices.
Back to top Go down
http://soullily.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

The Poetry Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Poetry Thread   The Poetry Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Poetry Thread
Page 1 of 1