The Ivory Tower - A Within Temptation Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ivory Tower - A Within Temptation Forum

Welcome, Guest!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesStoreRegisterLog in

The history discussion thread

Go down 
+9
ice-queen
Ktsunami
AliyahDuilliath
Fork Ninja
NeonFishnets
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
KellieBent
Amairwyn
LeiaLeFey
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
LeiaLeFey
Mother Earth
Mother Earth
LeiaLeFey

Female
Number of posts : 2876
Favorite WT song : The Promise and All I Need
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue157 / 200157 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue5 / 2005 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

The history discussion thread Empty
PostSubject: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Ok to keep us on topic in other threads. Any discussion of history, culture, money...here. I'm a history major so it's one of my favorite topics.
Back to top Go down
http://leialefey.deviantart.com/
Amairwyn
Restless
Restless
Amairwyn

Female
Number of posts : 1370
Favorite WT song : Mother Earth
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue30 / 20030 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue0 / 2000 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 8:26 pm

I love history. Very Happy It was one of the things I was going to major in, before I decided to do Russian instead. I might still minor in it, though.
I especially like European history, specifically the Celts and the Minoans.

Last edited by Amairwyn on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LeiaLeFey
Mother Earth
Mother Earth
LeiaLeFey

Female
Number of posts : 2876
Favorite WT song : The Promise and All I Need
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue157 / 200157 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue5 / 2005 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 8:27 pm

European is my concentration. I plan to concentrate more on Eastern Europe and Russia in grad school with an emphasis on Romania.
Back to top Go down
http://leialefey.deviantart.com/
Amairwyn
Restless
Restless
Amairwyn

Female
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue30 / 20030 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue0 / 2000 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 8:31 pm

I know I'll have to take some classes on Russian history for my major. I haven't studied much on Russia, (except the events around World War I) so it should be interesting. Eastern Europe is a fascinating area, though (at least to me). Laughing
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Number of posts : 16085
Favorite WT song : Caged
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue190 / 200190 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 9:56 pm

What do you actually learn about in history then?

I remember GCSE being centred around WW2 and Hitler and the suffragettes and the 20's with the flappers. I must have the worst memory ever I swear or selective memory. I'll ask my brother seeing as he's doing it now Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xxximmortalxxx
Amairwyn
Restless
Restless
Amairwyn

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:17 pm

I mostly had U.S. and state history in school. And my last year, economics and government took the place of history. Not much on Europe. Neutral
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue190 / 200190 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:21 pm

We didn't do much on US. Just Europe really. I think countires are selective in what they choose to teach in history and just learn most about our own country. Although we weren't taught all good things about England, I think it was pretty fair really.

Oh I just remembered Treaty of Versailles. It's kind of coming back to me Razz
Back to top Go down
Amairwyn
Restless
Restless
Amairwyn

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:26 pm

^Was that WW2?
I can't remember, which is strange. History is one of the subjects where I can usually remember most things. Math, though.... Laughing :
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:31 pm

I think so Razz I haven't done history in 2 years. Ok no it's not I just asked my brother and he said it was right after WW1.

To think I got an A* in history and I cant remember a single thing.
Back to top Go down
Amairwyn
Restless
Restless
Amairwyn

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:33 pm

I remember now... it was WW1. Laughing
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:36 pm

I could tell you everything that the cartoon of it meant though. I remember theres a naked baby crying in the corner and it's Germany. It was holding paper but I dont remember what that said Razz In the exam you get cartoons and you write what it symbolises and stuff. That was pretty easy actually. There was one with Uncle Sam or Ben as my mates once called him Razz

I'm really trying to remember what we learnt. Maybe the school website has it.
Back to top Go down
Amairwyn
Restless
Restless
Amairwyn

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:40 pm

We never had to do that with the cartoons. I don't think we even looked at them. Laughing
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
The Ultimate Within Temptation Fan!!!
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Number of posts : 10978
Favorite WT song : Candels
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue140 / 200140 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:42 pm

I love history,but not history class.My professor is scary.
I love european and asian culture,I found it very intersting.

Romania has an intesrting history,but here is the truth about Dracula:
-he wasn`t a vampire,the whole vampy thing coes from an english writer,I think Bram Strocker is its name.
-he was a king called Vlad Þepeº
-he liked to punish people by..can`t say Laughing ..it`s a crime Razz
I`m glad Leia that you like Romanian history Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XxfrozenbutterflyxX
NeonFishnets
Queen of Hearts
Queen of Hearts
NeonFishnets

Female
Number of posts : 15111
Favorite WT song : Overcome
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue200 / 200200 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:44 pm

I'm obsessed with the Victorian Era. It's just so interesting! The style, the medical practices, the dialect...everything. And that's when we really started to develop what we have today.
Back to top Go down
http://humanconstellation.deviantart.com/
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:47 pm

Haha I found the cartoon https://media.photobucket.com/image/history%2Bgcse%2Bcartoons/stpatshistory/cartoon-cannonfodder.jpg I think that was actually in my exam. I'll have to look through my brothers books and see if theres any good ones.

I thought Dracula was really Vlad The Impaler.
Back to top Go down
Amairwyn
Restless
Restless
Amairwyn

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:53 pm

XxfrozenbutterflyxX wrote:

-he wasn`t a vampire,the whole vampy thing coes from an english writer,I think Bram Strocker is its name.

I remember learning about Vlad from the history channel. But I'm never seen the Romanian spelling of his last name before.

I'm not really interested in the Victorian Era, I prefer medieval/classical history, and the early 1900's, specifically the suffragettes, but I agree with you Andy, that is when we started to develop what we have today. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue140 / 200140 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:59 pm

NeonFishnets wrote:
I'm obsessed with the Victorian Era. It's just so interesting! The style, the medical practices, the dialect...everything. And that's when we really started to develop what we have today.
It really is,i soo love it.I love the literature from that Era.Lovely I love you

KellieBent wrote:
Haha I found the cartoon https://media.photobucket.com/image/history%2Bgcse%2Bcartoons/stpatshistory/cartoon-cannonfodder.jpg I think that was actually in my exam. I'll have to look through my brothers books and see if theres any good ones.

I thought Dracula was really Vlad The Impaler.
Vlad The Impaler?I think it`s the same Wink

Amairwyn wrote:
XxfrozenbutterflyxX wrote:

I remember learning about Vlad from the history channel. But I'm never seen the Romanian spelling of his name before.
Yes that`s his spell name.the þ and º are diactritiques(??)and theire english equal are
º=sh(but i cant write Sharon=ªaron Razz )
þ=tz

Romania is an independent country since 24th january 1854.Thank you Alexandru-Ioan Cuza.He`s one of my favorite king/presidents from my country Wink
Our national day is on the 1st of December
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 11:05 pm

I liked the suffragettes that was interesting. Them women were crazy. Or was that suffragists? One were violent the others werent. Our whole second exam was about the suffragettes which was really lucky because our teacher guessed it so we really just revised that the whole week before.

I like Victorian style but dont think I've ever learnt much about it.

I'd love to leran more about the eyptians. I love pyramids and ankh's Razz
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 pm

I love South-American culture.Generelally things that have a little SF behind history Wink
Back to top Go down
Amairwyn
Restless
Restless
Amairwyn

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 11:09 pm

I think it can be either suffragette or suffragist. And I know some groups did use more 'radical' methods than others.

I love the Egyptians. Razz Doesn't Ruud wear an ankh sometimes? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fork Ninja
What Have You Done?!
What Have You Done?!
Fork Ninja

Female
Number of posts : 9583
Favorite WT song : Frozen and Pale
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue170 / 200170 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 11:15 pm

I LOVE the Romantic Period and I love cavemen<3
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Cavemen?Prehistoryc?LOL it`s intesting.Sometimes I do act like a cavegirl Razz Or like a baby Laughing
I don`t know much about Holland history.REALLY.All I know is that there were a lot of people who travveled and discovered new places and theriritories(i think it`s weong spelled),they had half of the sheeps from the entire world(in Medieval perios).And one of the greates renaissancist was dutch:Erasmus from Rotterdam
Back to top Go down
NeonFishnets
Queen of Hearts
Queen of Hearts
NeonFishnets

Female
Number of posts : 15111
Favorite WT song : Overcome
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue200 / 200200 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 11:24 pm

KellieBent wrote:
I'd love to leran more about the eyptians. I love pyramids and ankh's Razz
Ask Sam. I'm sure she'd be able to go on for days about how epic the Ancient Egyptians were XD

I'm a big Greek Mythology nut, too. I'm all about Greek gods... I'm considering naming my violin a feminine version of Poseidon Razz

Either that or Ophelia, one of Shakespeare's characters. The Victorians were obsessed with her *goes on huge speech about how awesome the Victorians were*
Back to top Go down
http://humanconstellation.deviantart.com/
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Smile Tell me all about it.

Yeah Ruud has an ankh he's wearing it in the calender pics.

Cavemen Amy? Is that a fetish just like Finnish men? Razz

I learnt a bit about Dutch history on a boat trip round the canals in Amsterdam. Although I really remember the stuff about the beer Razz We went on that both years we went to Holland. Was really good actually.
Back to top Go down
AliyahDuilliath
Restless
Restless
AliyahDuilliath

Female
Number of posts : 1189
Favorite WT song : Ice Queen, Caged, The Truth Beneath the Rose
Bless :
The history discussion thread Left_bar_bleue90 / 20090 / 200The history discussion thread Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 2:42 am

The histry I am most fascinated with right now is celtic and gaelic history. I love their language and their culture, and all the beautiful imagery they have. I love mythlore and they have a lot of it. Along the same vein is Viking and Norse mythology.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/duilliathband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The history discussion thread
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next