The Ivory Tower - A Within Temptation Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ivory Tower - A Within Temptation Forum

Welcome, Guest!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesStoreRegisterLog in

The history discussion thread

Go down 
+9
ice-queen
Ktsunami
AliyahDuilliath
Fork Ninja
NeonFishnets
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
KellieBent
Amairwyn
LeiaLeFey
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
LeiaLeFey
Mother Earth
Mother Earth
LeiaLeFey

Female
Number of posts : 2876
Favorite WT song : The Promise and All I Need
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue157 / 200157 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue5 / 2005 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

The history discussion thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 7:44 pm

KellieBent wrote:
I thought Dracula was really Vlad The Impaler.
Vlad The Impaler?I think it`s the same Wink

Amairwyn wrote:
XxfrozenbutterflyxX wrote:
I love history,but not history class.My professor is scary.
I love european and asian culture,I found it very intersting.

Romania has an intesrting history,but here is the truth about Dracula:
-he wasn`t a vampire,the whole vampy thing coes from an english writer,I think Bram Strocker is its name.
-he was a king called Vlad Þepeº
-he liked to punish people by..can`t say Laughing ..it`s a crime Razz
I`m glad Leia that you like Romanian history Wink

I remember learning about Vlad from the history channel. But I'm never seen the Romanian spelling of his name before.
Yes that`s his spell name.the þ and º are diactritiques(??)and theire english equal are
º=sh(but i cant write Sharon=ªaron Razz )
þ=tz[/quote]

Looking at Vlad the Impaler to where the spelling is a little easier to understand it's Vlad Ţepeş

Stoker did start the Vampire thing but he used not only Vlad Ţepeş but Erzsébet Báthory as inspiration for his Dracula

I've studied Vlad since I was like 9 and more recently started studying Báthory...it's like an obsession I tell you
Back to top Go down
http://leialefey.deviantart.com/
LeiaLeFey
Mother Earth
Mother Earth
LeiaLeFey

Female
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue157 / 200157 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue5 / 2005 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 7:45 pm

KellieBent wrote:
I thought Dracula was really Vlad The Impaler.
Vlad The Impaler?I think it`s the same Wink

Amairwyn wrote:
I love history,but not history class.My professor is scary.
I love european and asian culture,I found it very intersting.

Romania has an intesrting history,but here is the truth about Dracula:
-he wasn`t a vampire,the whole vampy thing coes from an english writer,I think Bram Strocker is its name.
-he was a king called Vlad Þepeº
-he liked to punish people by..can`t say Laughing ..it`s a crime Razz
I`m glad Leia that you like Romanian history Wink

I remember learning about Vlad from the history channel. But I'm never seen the Romanian spelling of his name before.
Yes that`s his spell name.the þ and º are diactritiques(??)and theire english equal are
º=sh(but i cant write Sharon=ªaron Razz )
þ=tz

Looking at Vlad the Impaler to where the spelling is a little easier to understand it's Vlad Ţepeş

Stoker did start the Vampire thing but he used not only Vlad Ţepeş but Erzsébet Báthory as inspiration for his Dracula

I've studied Vlad since I was like 9 and more recently started studying Báthory...it's like an obsession I tell you
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
The Ultimate Within Temptation Fan!!!
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Number of posts : 10978
Favorite WT song : Candels
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue140 / 200140 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 2000 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Wow Leia,you know much more about him than me Razz
But thanks ,precious information is always welcome Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XxfrozenbutterflyxX
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Number of posts : 16085
Favorite WT song : Caged
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue190 / 200190 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 2000 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:19 pm

Smile Elizabeth Bathory is so interesting. Putting people in the iron maiden thing and showering in there blood from it. That sounds so grim Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xxximmortalxxx
LeiaLeFey
Mother Earth
Mother Earth
LeiaLeFey

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:20 pm

That wasn't the only way she killed people. She's the ultimate, blood thirsty psycho.

Wow Leia,you know much more about him than me Razz
But thanks ,precious information is always welcome Wink
It's the same name just spelled with a different alphabet. The one you showed us looks more like a cyrillic alphabet.
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue140 / 200140 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:35 pm

Well romanian alphabet isn`t cyrillic alphabet actually Rolling Eyes
Romanian,as a lunaguage is latin(like many countries from Europe),just we had to write in cyrillic for a long time(we stopped about 200 years ago)but we still have some particulary letters that come from slavonic/cyrillic alphabet Wink
Back to top Go down
LeiaLeFey
Mother Earth
Mother Earth
LeiaLeFey

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:37 pm

I know it's a bit different...and Romance not a slavic language unlike the surrounding countries. The alphabet still looks a little like the cyrillic to me because I'm so used to the English alphabet. I can say my name in Romanian and understand a few words...I do plan to study the language as well as the history.
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Oh okay don`t worry about that Wink But the most of the letters are similar to english alphabet thought,with small exceptions Wink
Yes all the countries that are sorrounding Romania have cyrillic alphabet.(Except Moldavia Republic which speaks romanian too)
I can write in cyrillic alphabet(I learn it when I was in Bulgaria)but I can`t speak and.or understand bulgarian Razz
Back to top Go down
LeiaLeFey
Mother Earth
Mother Earth
LeiaLeFey

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 11:30 pm

I know some of the cyrillic alphabet due to taking classes on Russia. I can't really say anything in Russian but I keep a copy of the alphabet for reference.
Back to top Go down
Sweet Sorrow
Ice Queen
Ice Queen
Sweet Sorrow

Male
Number of posts : 3094
Favorite WT song : Hand of Sorrow
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue39 / 20039 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue1 / 2001 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 11:29 pm

oooh a thread i can love easily, sam your knowledge of eygpt is stunning and is an area im facinated in alot however i can never remember most of it.

I find school history on some levels dull (however the teacher i have is good) mostly it will concern areas im not fond of, jack the ripper was ok but too short an event, ww2 was entertaining when we studied the africa campaign in under 30mins and i hated the lessons on the holocaust for obvious reasons, it didnt help that i had been to auchswitz only 3 or so weeks before, however i know most of what i saw before i went. seeing is definatly a must for that topic there is a huge diffrence between reading and seeing, and no there are no birds there and yes if you stand still there is no noise there at all this was the only thing to take me by supprise.

other than ancient eygpt im facinated in the Paleolithic period of human history, as well as roman britain, the neploeonic wars, the history of japan and the use of torture and poisens throughout the ages. the first and last being my best subjects with the nepolionic being my third Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bounders.mmoguildsites.com/
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue190 / 200190 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 1:39 am

My brother is going to Auchswitz in July for his History trip. I'm annoyed that when I was doing history 2 or 3 years ago they didn't offer this trip and now they do. I'd love to go and see it because I bet it'd be a really moving experience. Is it really haunting?
Back to top Go down
Sweet Sorrow
Ice Queen
Ice Queen
Sweet Sorrow

Male
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue39 / 20039 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue1 / 2001 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 11:51 am

Most people know what it is, you go there expecting to see horrors and frankly the worst man has to offer, but really that is an understatment of it. Its not just the piles of shoes, glasses, pots, pans, human hair even clothes nor the photos with smiling faces in them its much more than that. Its as if when you walk in that place time hasnt moved on, its so quiet you just want to screem to break it and yet its not quiet your mind plays tricks with you you hear what you would expect to hear. It smells like you would expect it too even after 60 years and trust me its a god awful feeling. It really is one of the nastyest places on earth today, the memories make it that bad. There are parts i choose not to mention mostly because you have to see them to make it have the emotional impact and to try and put it into words would only lessen it. When i went i only knew one person on the trip as we were the only two from our school and we didnt know each other very well, but i think we did okbas for the weather it was very misty just like you always imagine it to be.

However there isnt just pain in this place not just destruction and death there is hope and freedom. Hope that one day man as a speciaes may learn that in the end killing throguh genocide, war and disagreement is wrong. That one day we can look back on our past not with shame and sadness but with joy, joy that we have learnt from our past and not just sit repeating it in new ways. Freedom from when all else seems to fade away into the night that we still are that free, able to say and think as we please. Its easy in places like this to feel sucumbed by the emotional wight, to question everything, that is a sin we have to confront it with open minds and hearts if we are to change.

Seems iv gone on a little again, this is one subject im not fond of but know an awful lot about, what i will say is if any of you get the chance to go to auchswitz go, it may be hard but what you can take away from it is life changeing, the down side is i cant look at any pictures of the place now as i can point out where iv stood and i hate that feeling. Im one person not even a very old person and yet i can dream of a unpredudiced society far removed from 1942 even from 2009 but its one mans dream, alone i cant change the world, together with others, one mans intitial dream can change the world forever.

Thank you for reading
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 1:56 pm

I`m gonna love history now because no more tests cheers
So does anybody know the history of glasses? Laughing (in a short summary)?
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Wow that was really moving and insightful what you wrote Mat. Snug Thanks.

Scares me though how much it might effect my brother as I'm the most protective person in the world. He has always wanted to go to Poland though and they're only going to Auchswitz for a day.
Back to top Go down
Sweet Sorrow
Ice Queen
Ice Queen
Sweet Sorrow

Male
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 3:25 pm

It affects people in diffrent ways, and thank you its far easier to write than to say.

My trip to poland was just to Auschwitz and the town of Oświęcim which the camp is named after, 2 in the morning to 1 the next morning. My first flight, i found i hate landing and at one point my partner on the trip wanted to take a picture of me kissing the floor back in england. we went with around 200 people from diffrent schools as well as the nine religious leaders of england, the arch bishop of canterbury is a very good speaker.

theres a page on off the bbc website i found after teh trip ill add a link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/articles/2008/11/14/kent_kids_auschwitz_feature.shtml
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 3:32 pm

Oh wow. So it was a really big thing then. It really does sound like an amazing but moving experience.

My brother is just going with people from their school. I'm guessing 30/40 kids. And they are staying in Poland for 5 days. I'm not sure if he knows what he's in for though. I remember learning about Auschwitz but I guess they dont tell you the half of it.
Back to top Go down
Sweet Sorrow
Ice Queen
Ice Queen
Sweet Sorrow

Male
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 3:38 pm

it was both, they dont teach you the half of it in school the group i went with made sure you know everything, the guide we had in auschwitz itself was an amazing guide spoke excellant english and was very emotional and descriptive whilst reaamining human and making sure that you saw as much as you could in 7 hours.

and the final candle lighting we did at the end will remain in my memory for an awful long time, there arent many pictures that we took when we went and none of them have us in them minus one that has the back of my head we took the view that by using a camera you distaced youself by trying not to use your eyes, if yoy would like me to post the pictures in can just ask
Back to top Go down
LeiaLeFey
Mother Earth
Mother Earth
LeiaLeFey

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 4:32 pm

KellieBent wrote:
My brother is going to Auchswitz in July for his History trip. I'm annoyed that when I was doing history 2 or 3 years ago they didn't offer this trip and now they do. I'd love to go and see it because I bet it'd be a really moving experience. Is it really haunting?

I'm taking a class on the Holocaust next semester. I've been to the museum in the US and it almost had me in tears.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 9:22 pm

LeiaLeFey wrote:
KellieBent wrote:

I'm taking a class on the Holocaust next semester. I've been to the museum in the US and it almost had me in tears.

I've read a lot of books about the Holocaust, it's a topic that has caught my attention since I studied it at elementary school. Hitler was a cruel person...the devil I should say.

The books I read:
1History
2History
3History
4Anne Frank
5 Hitler's Ovens
6 The mysteries of the Holocaust
7 The myths of the Holocaust

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I like very much History I must tell you about something that happened in my country, it was terrible and that proves that Mexico isn't a country of democracy as the TV, radio and the newspaper states, it proves that the politicians could kill hundreds of students if something as big as the olympiads were near and some college and high school students crossed on the politicians way. I'm talking about the Tlatelolco massacre.
“This event took place during the afternoon and night of October 2, 1968, in the Plaza de las Tres Culturas in the Tlatelolco section of Mexico City. It happened ten days before the 1968 Summer Olympics celebrations in Mexico City, when the military and armed men shot student demonstrators. The death toll remains controversial: official government estimates place the deathtoll at 30, while some estimates place it in the thousands. Most sources, however, report between 200 and 300 deaths. The exact number of people arrested is also controversial.”
The meeting was at the Chihuahua building. It was a peaceful meeting where the student leaders were exposing their opinions about the bad government, they wanted a Revolution. The signal for the military to shot the students were some flares…the crowd panicked and started running to safe places, not everyone could escape. The Olympic Battalion captured the leaders, arrested and maltreated them.
They didn’t kill only students. They killed teachers, pedestrians, workers, kids…
Just because the government pretended that everything was okay here.
The next morning it was said that there were killed 30 students and there were 20 injured. Stupidness. Also was said that the students had provoked the military and the Olympia Battalion.
But the worse thing is that the authors of this massacre were never arrested. That’s the thing that angers me so much. Here in Mexico we can’t trust in our presidents. Politic is getting worse and worse. Now the PRI (The ones who made this massacre) has won the elections… again.
Seriously guys here is getting worse and now I’m afraid of that political party, I’m afraid that something similar happens because I study in one of the schools which were involved in that event on addition that my school is autonomous and the goverment wants to destroy it. Such a pity because from that school are the best profesionists and Graduates Sad
Back to top Go down
BigBossWTF
Ice Queen
Ice Queen
BigBossWTF

Male
Number of posts : 4931
Favorite WT song : All I Need
The Howling
Utopia
Memories
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue75 / 20075 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that! I know the situation over there is bad, especially with the drug cartel and murders! And I know the government and the police doesn't do or give a shitfuck about anything because they're all fuckin corrupted and all they care about is putting more money in their pockets! They're all "una bolla de hypocritas y ladrones mal-nacidos!" I hope your family, yourself, your school, and community stay safe! Group Hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bigbossms

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks Roberto Snug
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 11:19 pm

Oh,that sounds awful Mary Neutral ,I hope you will overcome this Snug
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 5:44 pm

Super glomp
Thank You Cris
Back to top Go down
Sweet Sorrow
Ice Queen
Ice Queen
Sweet Sorrow

Male
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Saw this and thought Sam might like to read given her interest in Egypt http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8278375.stm
Back to top Go down
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Number of posts : 5150
Favorite WT song : Utopia, Stand My Ground
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue191 / 200191 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks Very Happy Quite interesting, they always got things wrong in those times when it came to mummies Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/Within-Temptation96
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The history discussion thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next