The Ivory Tower - A Within Temptation Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ivory Tower - A Within Temptation Forum

Welcome, Guest!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesStoreRegisterLog in

The history discussion thread

Go down 
+9
ice-queen
Ktsunami
AliyahDuilliath
Fork Ninja
NeonFishnets
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
KellieBent
Amairwyn
LeiaLeFey
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ktsunami
Official Roast Master
Official Roast Master
Ktsunami

Female
Number of posts : 12942
Favorite WT song : Jane Doe
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue200 / 200200 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1 / 2001 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

The history discussion thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 2:43 am

I hate history class. Mythology is cool. But I honestly get bored to tears sitting through a lesson about the Monroe Doctrine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ktsunami
AliyahDuilliath
Restless
Restless
AliyahDuilliath

Female
Number of posts : 1189
Favorite WT song : Ice Queen, Caged, The Truth Beneath the Rose
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue90 / 20090 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 2000 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 2:49 am

Yeah...I am done with history now, being in college in a degree that doesn't require it. But I do remember hating having to remember dates and such. Concepts are great but the actual dates and specifics bore me to death.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/duilliathband
Fork Ninja
What Have You Done?!
What Have You Done?!
Fork Ninja

Female
Number of posts : 9583
Favorite WT song : Frozen and Pale
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue170 / 200170 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 2000 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 4:39 am

I have a Neanderthal fetish. I used to think Finns were Neanderthals...than I read Neanderthals couldn't pronounce vowel sounds...LMAO.
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
The Ultimate Within Temptation Fan!!!
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Number of posts : 10978
Favorite WT song : Candels
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue140 / 200140 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Well i like gothic history(i like the style,but i`m talking about the other gothic thing)
Germans are cool! Wink I love their history Razz
Now I think i`m gonna say that i love very culture XD (why shouldn`t I?) Laughing
But my big love is geography.I`ll stop now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XxfrozenbutterflyxX
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Number of posts : 16085
Favorite WT song : Caged
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue190 / 200190 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Fork Ninja wrote:
I have a Neanderthal fetish. I used to think Finns were Neanderthals...than I read Neanderthals couldn't pronounce vowel sounds...LMAO.

LMFAO! You made my day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xxximmortalxxx
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Number of posts : 5150
Favorite WT song : Utopia, Stand My Ground
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue191 / 200191 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 8:37 pm

NeonFishnets wrote:
KellieBent wrote:
I'd love to leran more about the eyptians. I love pyramids and ankh's Razz
Ask Sam. I'm sure she'd be able to go on for days about how epic the Ancient Egyptians were XD

Yeah I could do that Razz especially the eighteenth dynasty which includes the Armarna period (if your wondering the Armarna period was when Tutankhamun's dad was ruling Egypt.. not very well though I might add).

Aswell as Ancient Egyptian history, i'm quite interested in the medieval times and the victorian era and Jack the Ripper, I loved doing that subject in GCSE hisory xD Ooo and not forgetting ways of torture Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/Within-Temptation96
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue190 / 200190 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 10:45 pm

You got to learn about torture methods??? I'm jealous that'd be really interesting. How grim do I sound now Razz Thats wierd, what exam board was it on? Must of been different to ours.

Smile You can tell me all about Egypt then. I find it really interesting.
Back to top Go down
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue191 / 200191 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Unfortunately no we didn't learn torture methods, I watch programes about them such as surviving history which is great. Apart from that I think we did the same things you did. Smile

What would you like to know? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Anything Razz I just find it all so facinating.
Back to top Go down
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 9:12 pm

ok ermmm.... how about... the Great Pyramid of Giza took 24 to 27 years to build and it wasn't built by slaves like people think. The Pyramids and tombs were actually built by egyptians themselves and were very well cared for because they had food and a place to stay. Ooo and that the first ever female Pharaoh was called Hatshepsut and was Tutankhamun's ancestor and was thought to have possibly been murdered by her stepson. Very Happy I could go on all day xD
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :
The history discussion thread - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue140 / 200140 / 200The history discussion thread - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Sam,can you tell me which pharaoh had more than 100 children?
Because i`ve forgot xD
Back to top Go down
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 9:46 pm

Sure Smile it was Rameses the second
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks Smile
Which of them own Egypt for the most of years?
(Sorry i`m just very intersted about this Razz )
Back to top Go down
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 10:40 pm

No problem Smile
If you mean the pharaoh that reigned the longest then it would be Rameses the second or great again because he reigned for at least 60 years and he died in his 90's which was pretty damn good for an ancient egyptian as the mortality for men in the ancient egyptian times was 40/45 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Okay thank you so much! Hug
You`re even better than my history teacher xD
Is it real that Imhotep(spelled wrong?)was an alien?Sorry i`ve read a SF book about that and her might have been an alien..but it`s just a myth i guess Razz
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 1:42 am

Smile Very interesting Sam. I really need to buy Lilith's Dream the last book for The Hunger stuff. I know it's set in Egypt. Not to say any of it will be real Razz but then I may have some questions.
Back to top Go down
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 5:59 pm

XxfrozenbutterflyxX wrote:
Okay thank you so much! Hug
You`re even better than my history teacher xD
Is it real that Imhotep(spelled wrong?)was an alien?Sorry i`ve read a SF book about that and her might have been an alien..but it`s just a myth i guess Razz

Imhotep was a real person Razz he was the architect (sp?) of the first ever pyramid also known as the step pyramid, he was a scientist... he did loads of things, he was seen as a god and actually worshiped by some egyptians after he passed ove to the after life (another words died). Did you know the egyptian characters in The Mummy films were actually names of real ancient egyptian people but for the film they mixed them around, because in real life Anck Su Namun wasn't due to be Seti's wife like in the film but was actually Tutankhamun's wife and in a different dynasty than Pharaoh Seti Smile

Thanks Very Happy Is it? I never knew that, i'm going to have to see what that's like Very Happy I mean I have some Ancient Egyptian themed books, I've read one but it's the third in a set of four or five I think. The books are by Wilbur Smith and the one i've read is pretty good so I can't wait to read the others Very Happy lol that's alright I don't mind answering questions Razz
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 6:04 pm

Thaks again Sam
Another passion of mine is SF books,and I once read a SF book about the myteries of Egypt and how they built pyramids..and stuff...and it was combined with extraterrestials and other stuff Razz weird but intersting Wink
That book was alao about other cultures and mytseries
I`m not sure what is the original title of the book but the author is Daniel Schmidt Wink
Back to top Go down
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 6:09 pm

No problem Smile I can imagine Razz One theory that some people have about the pyramids is that they were built by aliens, but the ancient egyptians were very advanced Smile
Back to top Go down
XxfrozenbutterflyxX
XxfrozenbutterflyxX

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 6:10 pm

^That`s what the book it`s about.It`s very intersting Smile
Back to top Go down
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Cool! I wouldn't mind a book like that Smile I have quite a few books about ancient Egypt though, but most of them is about Tutankhamun.. I would love a book about Akhenaten.
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 6:31 pm

Well Lilith's Dream is the third book by Whitley Strieber. They are about vampires really, although the word vampire is never mentioned. I found the books after watching The Hunger which is one of my favourite films, although it is really wierd. And the last book Lilith's Dream is set in Egypt pretty much I think. They are good books Smile I'll have to get it actually.

It's amazing how advanced Egyptians were though, must of been such hard and long gruelling work to build those pyramids. What was there view on afterlife then?
Back to top Go down
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Oh right they sound quite good Smile

Yeah it is Very Happy yeah it probably was but at least they were looked after, I mean they had surgery if anything ws broken like an arm or something during building, but the workers actually worked only for a few months and then they would go back to their farms or where ever they originally worked, and other people would come and take over Smile Well they saw the afterlife as being like thier lives while they were living but better if you know what I mean, beacuse in tombs there are images over the walls of the person working in fields but in their best clothing, showing that everything in the afterlife is better. Smile
Back to top Go down
KellieBent
Sheepherder
Sheepherder
KellieBent

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 7:12 pm

Oh wow Smile Thanks. You're full of knowledge Razz I didn't know they did surgery and stuff, thats amazing.
Back to top Go down
ice-queen
Converter
Converter
ice-queen

Female
Bless :

Curse :

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 7:27 pm

No problem lol yeah thanks to all the programmes I watch Razz Yeah they come across bones where they'd had arms and legs sawn of and skulls with holes in where they've had brain surgery and the people actually lived a couple of months after Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The history discussion thread   The history discussion thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The history discussion thread
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next